Frequently Asked Questions


Do I need reservations for dining and other services?

We strongly recommend making reservations in advance for dining, golf tee times and lessons, spa appointments. By booking in advance you will ensure a better opportunity to receive your desired appointments and times. Activities such as Resort Rascals and Segway Tours require advance registration. To make reservations please contact us at 304.269.7400.  

What is your cancellation policy?

Our Standard Hotel Room Cancellation Policy is that you must cancel before 72 hours prior to your arrival date to avoid a penalty of 1 night’s room and tax charges. Please note that this policy does not apply to non-refundable Pre Payment offers.

Our Lakeside Cottage Cancellation Policy is that if you cancel more than 30 days out, we will refund 50% of the deposit to you. If you cancel within 30 days prior to your arrival, you will be charged the full amount of your stay.  

Please note that this policy does not apply to special event packages.


Do you accept checks?

We are pleased to accept personal checks with a valid ID, but cannot accept third party checks. Additionally, a major credit card is required to be authorized for the entire amount of the check.  

Will you cash personal checks for me?

The resort does not cash personal checks at the Front Desk; however, there is an ATM available in the lobby for your convenience.


What time is check-in and check-out?

Check in begins at 4pm and check out is at 11am.  

Do you offer special packages or discounts?

Yes! We offer a variety of special packages and event packages throughout the year. For a full listing of current offers, please CLICK HERE.  

Do you allow pets?

We are delighted to accept pets and service animals in the lodge; however we do require notification during the reservation process. All pets must be under the weight of 25 lbs. A $150.00 refundable deposit will be charged. Please click here to review our full Pet Policy. Please note that we do not allow pets in the cottages.  

What is the Resort Fee?

Stonewall Resort charges a daily resort fee per room. This fee covers your admission to the state park, parking and valet service, use of the indoor/outdoor pool, fitness center, steam rooms and sauna rooms. It also covers all local and toll free calls, use of our high speed and wireless internet, park shuttle bus, hiking/biking trails, canoes, kayaks, paddleboats, and YOLO stand up paddle boards. During certain months out of the year, you can also enjoy Complimentary Golf Clinics (Tuesdays and Saturdays only), use of a 20 ft. non-electric boat slip at the marina, and excursion boat tours on Little Sorrel. For more information, CLICK HERE  

Can I reserve connecting rooms?

We are pleased to accommodate requests for connecting rooms as long as we have the availability.  

What is your early departure policy?

Please be advised that a $50 fee plus taxes will apply to all early departures.  

Do you offer rollaway cots?

We do not offer additional bedding other than what is already located inside the guest rooms.   

Can I use a gift card or resort certificate towards my room?

We are delighted to accept valid unexpired Gift Cards or other authorized certificates issued by the resort. We request that you provide us with Gift Card or Resort Certificate information when booking a reservation. Also, the original card or certificate must be present during redemption and cannot be replaced. Photos copies will not be accepted.  

Can I get extra room keys?

A valid government or state issued ID is required for registration and for additional keys after arrival or access to guest rooms without keys. The guest who reserved the stay under their name must be present at the time of check-in.  

What amenities are included?

The lodge rooms include the following amenities:

  • 37” HD LCD Flat Screen TV with HD Channels
  • Alarm Clock/Radio
  • Armoire
  • Bath Products
  • Refrigerator
  • Chair in Double Queen Rooms
  • Coffeemaker with Single Serve Packs
  • Electronic Locks
  • Free Local Calls
  • Hairdryer
  • In Room Dining
  • Iron & Ironing Board
  • Lake, Mountain or Golf Course Views
  • Marble-Top Bathrooms with Tile Floors
  • Pull Out Sleeper-Sofa in King Rooms
  • Self-Controlled Air Conditioning and Heating System
  • Separate Vanity Station in Double Queen Rooms
  • Voice Mail
  • Windows that Open
  • Wireless Internet and Modem Jack
  • Work Desk with Ample Electrical Outlets and Lighting

 The cottages include the following amenities:

  • 26” HD Flat Screen TV with HD Channels
  • 47” LCD HD TV in the Living Area with HD Channels
  • Central Air & Heat
  • Full Baths
  • Fully Equipped Kitchens, including Dishwasher Microwave
  • Large Exterior Decks with Gas Grills
  • Linens
  • Private Boat Launch and Trailer Parking
  • Washer, Dryer and Detergent
  • Wireless Internet Access

Each cottage type also has several unique amenities. For more information please CLICK HERE.

The resort includes the following amenities:

  • Arnold Palmer Signature Golf Course
  • ATM in Lobby
  • Business Center, 24 hours
  • Complimentary Wi-Fi Internet Access
  • Conference Concierge Desk
  • Free Digital Download of USA TODAY
  • Fitness Center
  • Gift Shop
  • Heated Indoor/Outdoor Pool and Hot Tubs
  • Little Sorrel Cruise Boat
  • Marina
  • Mtn. Laurel Spa
  • Outdoor Fire Pit
  • Outdoor Recreation Equipment
  • Resort Shuttle Bus
  • Roanoke Activity Plaza
  • Steam and Sauna Rooms 


Do the restaurants have a dress code?

Shoes and shirts are required in all three of our restaurants. Pool attire is not permitted.  

Do I need a reservation to dine?

We recommend making reservations for Lightburn’s and Stillwaters restaurants.  

Do your restaurants accommodate guests with food allergies and or special diets?

We certainly do! Our menus currently indicate items that are gluten free or that can be prepared gluten free. If you have any other special dietary needs, just let us know and we’ll be happy to accommodate you.  

Do you offer kids menus or discounts for children in any of your restaurants?

Children 5 and under eat for free from the Children’s Menu or from our Kiosk. Children 6-12 years of age eat for half price off the Kiosk or regular price off the Children’s Menu in Stillwaters with a paying adult.

When will Lightburn's close for the season?

Lightburn's Restaurant closed for the season on Oct 25th, 2014. The venue will still be available in the winter months for private functions. Please call 304.269.8850 if you're interesting in booking Lightburn's for a private party. 


Do the carts come with GPS units? 

At least one cart in each group will be equipped with a VISAGE GPS unit. These units will help with course layout as well as provide you with information regarding your distance to the hole.  

What is the course dress code? Does it apply to the driving range as well?

We require proper golf attire on both the golf course and driving range. Proper golf attire includes a collared shirt, Bermuda shorts or pants and golf shoes (soft spikes) or tennis shoes. Tee shirts, tank tops, gym shorts, sweatpants, denim of any type (even Dockers), flip flops and beach/pool attire are prohibited.  

When do you know your Cart Path Rule?

Our Golf Course Superintendent makes that decision daily, based on the weather conditions affecting the course.  

Can I use the driving range today if I’m playing golf tomorrow?

Yes you can, however, there is a $15/hour charge (plus tax) to use the range. The range fee that is included in your golf round is only good for the same day that you are playing.  

Do you allow riders on the golf course?

Yes we do. We do occasionally limit the number of riders with a tee time based on our schedule. Please be sure to ask a shop attendant when making your tee time. The rider must also be dressed in proper golf attire.  

I just booked my reservation for the lodge, when can I make my tee time?

As soon as you’re ready! Just call 304.269.8885.

When does the course close for the year?

The Palmer Course's last day of the 2014 season was November 16th. The course will re-open on Wednesday, April 1st, 2015.


What is Mtn. Laurel Spa’s Cancellation Policy?

If you must cancel or change your spa reservation, please notify us at least six hours prior to your scheduled appointment time to avoid a cancellation charge. For package cancellations we require 24-hour notice.  

For a Massage do I need to remove all my clothes?

No, you know your comfort level.  You may choose to leave on all clothing, remove some leaving only your undergarments on, or remove everything.   Massage Therapists are trained to use proper draping procedures to respect in insure privacy of their client.  

How much should I tip?

20% of your service is the standard gratuity when satisfied with your treatment.  You can either leave cash gratuity with your service provider or may choose to add it to your bill. This amount is completely adjustable based on your level of satisfaction with your service.  

If I have a nail/foot fungus or planters warts, can I still get a manicure, pedicure, or reflexology service?

We do not do these services in the area that you are infected. It is against State Law and these Symptoms are contagious and must be treated by a physician.  

I would like to get a facial but am unsure what type to get? 

Depends on your skin type, everyone is different.  You can consult with your esthetician when you arrive and she can help you decided which products & facial service would be best for you.  

Is there an age limit for massage/ body treatments? 

Yes, you must be 13 years or older. Minors 13-17 must be accompanied at all times during the duration of their service by a parent/guardian. No one under 13 may receive a massage or body treatment but are more than welcome to receive a manicure or pedicure.  

What should I wear? 

You may wear whatever you prefer when arriving to the spa; but we do ask that if you’re going to receive a pedicure if you wear pants that they are loose fitting and can be rolled up.


How much is a fishing license for an out of state resident?  

A fishing license is required for anyone over 15 years of age. You may purchase a license at our marina, but we strongly encourage you to purchase a license online prior to arrival. You may purchase your license online here. Out of state guests may purchase a one day fishing license. In state guests must purchase a full year license. We do provide fishing poles for use with a 2 hour limitation. The conservation stamp, which is mandatory, is $13.00, the day stamps are $3.00 each and a processing fee of $3.00 for each license.   EX: one day fishing license is $19.00, two day is $22.00 and three day is $25.00. These prices are subject to change without notice. 

Can we bring our pet along on our boat rental? 

Unfortunately you cannot. We do not allow pets, grills, alcohol, drugs, firearms, or pull behind tubes on our boat rentals.  

Do you rent fishing poles? 

We do not rent fishing poles. We do have a limited amount of fishing poles that we offer our guests to borrow while they are renting one of our boats. These poles are loaner poles and are not guaranteed. We would suggest, if you’re planning to fish while you are visiting our resort, to bring your own poles.  

What information do you need in order to rent a slip at the marina

In order to rent a yearly slip, a completed contract (available at the marina) along with a copy of your boat title, a copy of your current registration and a copy of your current insurance (with effective dates) are required along with payment. To rent a daily or weekly slip, the vessel itself for measurement, a copy of your current registration, a copy of your current insurance (with effective dates) are required along with payment. If you are a guest at the lodge, a 20 foot non-electric boat slip at the marina (April - October) is included with the resort fee.  

Do you sell live bait? 

Yes.  The marina carries minnows, shiners, night crawlers, meal worms, wax worms and chicken livers.  We also have all your tackle needs as well.  

Do you need a reservation in order to rent a pontoon boat? 

It is not necessary to make a reservation with the marina but we highly suggest you do.  We do rent boats on a first come, first serve basis but if a reservation is made it will guarantee you have one for the day and the time you prefer.

When will the Marina close for the season? 

The Marina's last day of the season was October 31st, 2014. The marina will re-open in early 2015.


Is Stonewall Resort recreation activities reserved for resort guests only?

Many of our special events and festivals are open for the public to enjoy. Some examples of this would be our summer concert series, fireworks displays and our Mountain Heritage and Wine Festival. Use of our recreational equipment and access to our pool are both reserved exclusively to registered guests of the resort or cottages. Campground guests and Boater's Association Members may purchase a resort activity pass which will allow them to utilize the pool and water equipment.  

What type of water equipment do you offer?

As an amenity to our guests we offer use of kayaks, canoes, paddle boats, stand up paddle boards and bicycles. There is a 2 hour limitation on our equipment. Please note that these items are available seasonally. Please call 304.269.8887 for details.  

Should I bring my own bike to Stonewall?

While we do provide use of our bikes to overnight guests in the summer, these bikes are not permitted on many of our wooded trails due to the rugged terrain. They are, however, permitted on the park roads throughout the property. If you have a mountain bike and are interested in riding the wooded trails, we do recommend that you bring your own bike.  

How late in the year are the bikes, kayaks, canoes, paddle boats and paddle boards available to guests?

Use of these items are included in your resort fee as an overnight guest through November 9th, 2014. They will be available again in spring 2015.  

What can you do at Stonewall if you’re not an overnight guest?

You can dine in one of our three restaurants, golf, hike any or all of our nature trails, rent a fishing or pontoon boat, enjoy a Segway tour or visit the Roanoke Activity Plaza.  

What is there to do if it is raining?

During spring, summer and weekends in the fall you can utilize the Roanoke Activity Plaza. We also have a family fun room in the lodge with various games and puzzles. Of course, the indoor pool is also available all year unless there is thunder.

We want to bring our children, what are the available children’s activities?

During spring, summer and weekends in the fall you can utilize the Roanoke Activity Plaza, the family fun room in the lodge with various games and puzzles, and enjoy special activities that are scheduled throughout the summer. For more info, please call 304.269.8887.

Do you offer child care services?

We have a program called Resort Rascals which is a structured time consisting of various activities for children 5-12 years of age. A 72 hour advanced notice is required. For more information on this program, please click here.    

Can day guests utilize the pool?

We apologize, but the use of the resort pool is restricted to resort guests. Campground guests and Boater's Association Members may purchase a resort activity pass which will allow them to utilize the pool and water equipment.  

How do I sign up for a Segway Tour?

You may call the recreation dept. at the lodge to schedule a tour (304-269-8887). The tours are $40 each, you must be 16 or over and they take an hour and 15 minutes with training. Advanced scheduling will increase your chances of availability.  

When does the Little Sorrel Cruise Boat depart?

Little Sorrel runs every evening (pending weather) during the summer. On Saturdays, the cruise typically runs twice. Call us at 304.269.7400 to learn more about a certain week’s cruise schedule. The cruise has a capacity of 100 passengers.  

Can day guests ride Little Sorrel?

At this time, day guests are not permitted to ride Little Sorrel due to the limited space available on the boat.   

What are the pool’s hours and are there any lifeguards on duty?

Swimming is permitted between the hours of 6am and 11pm. Please be advised that there are no lifeguards on duty — so guests swim at their own risk. Because there are no lifeguards, children 15 years of age and younger must have adult supervision to be utilize the pool.  

Do you provide towels or should I bring my own?

We will be happy to provide you with towels. 

Do you allow coolers around the pool?

Coolers, as well as food from outside our restaurant are not permitted.  

Can I swim in the lake?

Swimming in the lake is not recommended or encouraged.  

What is your Pool Policy?

Swimming is permitted between the hours of 6am and 11pm. Please be advised that there are no lifeguards on duty — guests swim at their own risk. Children 15 and under must always be accompanied by an adult; diapered children must be in swim diapers, which are available at the gift shop, and children under the age of 12 are not allowed in the hot tubs, sauna or steam room. Also, please do not take food or glassware into the pool areas. For the safety of our guests, our resort adheres to a No Diving Policy. 

How old do you have to be before you can use water equipment and bikes without an adult?

You must be at least 16 years of age in order to use such equipment without adult supervision. A parent or guardian must sign a liability waiver for anyone under 18 years of age.  

Do I need a fishing license to fish on the lake and do you provide fishing poles.

A fishing license is required for anyone over 15 years of age. You may purchase a license at our marina. Out of state guests may purchase a one day fishing license. In state guests must purchase a full year license. We do provide fishing poles for use with a 2 hour limitation.

When does the Roanoke Activity Plaza close for the year?

The Roanoke Activity Plaza is currently closed for the winter season and will re-open in the spring.  


I’m staying at the campground; can I use the resort pool?

Yes, you may use the resort amenities by purchasing a Resort Activity Pass. The Passes are available at the Welcome Gate and are $15+ tax for 4 guests and $3.75 for each additional pass. The amenities included are canoes, kayaks, bicycles, fitness center, pool, paddle boats, Little Sorrel, and water bikes.  

Can I request a certain campsite?

As per our camping policy, we will make note of your site request. We will do our best to accommodate your request, but we cannot guarantee site numbers.  

Can I set off fireworks?

Fireworks, including sparklers, are prohibited within the State Park.


Do you accept purchase orders?

Purchase orders are accepted for contracted Government Groups only, with no exceptions allowed. These must be approved prior to arrival. Please contact our Accounting Department at 304.269.8813.

Do you offer shuttle/ car rental services?

Our shuttle service is typically available at all times on property, however our shuttle service is not offered outside of the Welcome Gate. For all other transportation needs, we recommend Philip Podesta’s Touch of Class which offers limousine service among other transport methods. His contact number is 304.624.3101. You may also contact Enterprise located in Buckhannon as well as Bridgeport.   

I reserved a package plan and did not use all of the services. Can I get a refund?

No, we are unable to refund package plan components. The components and vouchers for packages must be used during the stay they were purchased for.  

What airports are near Stonewall?

We are conveniently located 35 minutes from Clarksburg’s Airport (CKB). Colgan Air, operating as United Express offers six flights daily. By car, we are just 3 miles off Interstate 79 and close to other Interstate highways. Driving Times from Other Area Airports:

  • Charleston, WV (CRW)- 1.5 hours
  • Pittsburgh (PIT) - 2 hours
  • Cleveland (CLE) - 4 hours
  • Columbus (CMH) - 4 hours
  • Washington DC (IAD/ DCA) - 4.5 hours

Where can I smoke within the state park?

Lewis County now regulates that smoking be prohibited inside any public facilities. Additionally, smoking is prohibited within 15 feet of any entrance and within any common areas.  In order to comply with the new ordinances, we have made some changes to our smoking policies: Smoking is no longer permitted under the Porte Cochere since this is both a primary entrance and a common area for guests.  We have designated the entrance to the conference center where we park the golf cart as a smoking area for now.  However, smoking is not allowed in this area whenever that entrance is being used by a group. Smoking is no longer permitted immediately outside the door from the grand stairway to the Adler patio. Smoking is allowed around the fire pit and the designated area on the Maple patio. Smoking is not allowed on the Maple patio when it is used for a group function.  Smoking is no longer permitted on the Terrace Patio; however, we do allow smoking on the Terrace Balcony. There is no smoking allowed in the pool area or on the Adler Patio. Smoking is allowed at the far end exits of both the Chestnut and Hickory wings, and the emergency exit of the stairwell near the bike rack near the entrance to the recreation center. Smoking is prohibited at both the front and rear main entrances to the Roanoke Activity Plaza and in the outdoor theater area when there is a concert.  A smoking area has been established at the end of the RAP toward the campground. If you have any questions during your stay, please feel comfortable asking any staff member for assistance.   

Why is the excursion boat named Little Sorrel?

Little Sorrel was the name of General ‘Stonewall’ Jackson’s favorite horse.  

Does Stonewall Resort make donations to charitable organizations?

A limited number of non-cash donations are made on an annual basis to civic and non-profit organizations. Donation requests should be submitted in writing, on the organization's letterhead, to:

ATTN: Rachel Perdue, Executive Assistant
Stonewall Resort
940 Resort Drive
Roanoke, WV 26447

All requests received are reviewed and are responded to in approximately 4 - 6 weeks.